Monday, February 25, 2013

Goodbye Phoenix, Hello Washington!

I am finally in Washington DC, staying in Georgetown with an extremely generous family whose child attends BASIS Washington.

Tomorrow, I plan on visiting the Library of Congress and attaining my Reader Identification Card which will allow me to use the Library's research areas. Furthermore, I hope to get some valuable research done. I plan on taking a look at a book called Beyond Pleasure: Freud, Lacan, Barthes by Margaret Iverson which discusses the influence of psychoanalysis on Surrealist aesthetics as well as the personal relationships between various psychoanalysts and Surrealist artists. If I have time, I would also like to read through Freud and the Humanities by Peregrine Horden which analyzes, as the title suggests, the ways in which psychoanalysis has affected the arts and humanities. As the weeks go by, I will surely continue my research with the aid of many more books.

Later on in the week, I also plan on visiting the National Gallery of Art where admission is always free. Specifically, I intend to observe and analyze Rene Magritte's "The Blank Signature." For details on my analysis methodology, take a look at my Senior Project Proposal; however, keep in mind that this methodology will be used in the context of discovering a connection between the specific work of art and Freud's theories.

In the next few days, I will probably experience my first day interning at Burton Marinkovich Fine Art. I have already spoken with Ms. Marinkovich about the internship and will begin working at the institute very soon.

The next several weeks will be very busy for me, so I hope everything goes well! Please wish me luck and comment below if you feel the urge. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment